Remodeling is an exciting time for any homeowner, but it can also become overwhelming if the project isn't well planned. At Edelman, we work with designers, contractors, and homeowners everyday, and have helped make all types of projects come to life. Here are 6 of our best tips to make your remodel a success.
1. Research to Create Your Vision - Utilize websites like houzz.com and Pinterest to gather ideas you love. Compiling idea books and pin boards will create a snapshot of your style, which is especially great if you aren’t sure what direction to go in. When browsing, keep an open mind and document your thoughts on each photo with captions. For example, you may love the shape of a piece of furniture but not the color, or feel indifferent about the finishes in a kitchen but find the layout of the cabinets to be perfect.
2. Team Up With a Professional - While completing a small DIY project may be simple, kitchen and bathroom remodels are best left to the professionals. Full-time contractors and designers have established relationships within the trade community in your area, and will be able to guide you through the process and keep your project on schedule. Not only will this help make your remodel a success, but it mitigates safety risks due to improper installations and saves you from having to coordinate all the small details, which can become a full-time job.
3. Communicate Effectively - In order to turn the ideas floating through your mind into a reality, you must communicate your vision in detail to your contractor or designer. This is where the research you've done (in Tip #1) will come in handy. Visuals will be very helpful in communicating your ideas, so be sure to share your idea books, pin boards, and finish samples. Also, be upfront and realistic about your budget, deadlines, and goals.
4. Get Started Early - Making selections early in the process will help ensure that your project is completed on time and accurately. Some items may have a longer “lead time” than others, and proactive planning allows your team enough time to retrieve your top choices before construction begins. Making decisions even 2-3 months in advance gives your team sufficient time to secure the products you love.
5. Stay Organized - Keeping everything you need in one place can be a huge help during a remodeling project. Put together a binder or notebook of your team’s contact information, a calendar where you can mark deadlines and appointments, and any lists or notes. Putting things in writing will give you a reference point throughout the process and staying organized can help eliminate issues before they arise.
6. Keep an Open Mind - Of course you want to achieve a remodel that is an exact replica of your vision, but it’s important to be somewhat flexible, too. Sometimes an idea may not work structurally, or a product you saw and loved when you were researching could be discontinued. You'll feel more comfortable with any potential changes by preparing a few back-up ideas in case your first choice is not possible.
What are your best tips for remodel projects? Share them in the comments below!
Photos: Sub-Zero Wolf